Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mom and Dad Come to Italy!


Verona with my parents 
A few weeks ago my parents came to visit me in Italy for 2 weeks. I loved having them here and traveling in Northern Italy with them. I met them in Milan with Erika and we stayed in my dad’s business colleagues house right outside Milan. The first night we explored Milan and went to the incredible Cathedral. Aside from the Cathedral in Milan I didn’t really care for Milan. It is a huge city and a bit overwhelming. 
Pumpkin Ravioli for dinner!
The next few days we took day trips to various towns in the area. The weather was so beautiful so the first day we went to Lake Como and spent the day relaxing and wandering around the small town on Bellagio. Driving around Italy is very different than I expected. That night we came back to the house and stopped in Bergamo, a walled city that looked like a castle, for dinner.

Mom and me in Fiesole
The next day we went to Verona, the home of Romeo and Juliet. We had a great time exploring the city and seeing the incredible roman ruins. We came home that night and made the most amazing fresh pumpkin ravioli. The next morning we decided to start driving down to Florence and stop along the way. We drove through Forte Dei Marmi and watched the sunset on the Mediterranean Sea. That night we stayed in Lucca, officially one of my favorite cities in Italy. It is a walled city with so much character and life. We went out to dinner and spent the evening and next day just walking around in the crisp fall weather. The city walls look like a park with the trees changing colors and beautiful out exercising or playing with their kids. After Lucca we came back to Florence where we stayed the rest of the week. It turns out that the same people that run my pensione ran the pensione my mom lived in when she studied abroad. It was like a family reunion when they came to my pensione for lunch. We had a great time together and it was hard to say goodbye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment