Sunday, January 8, 2012

When in Roma

Pretending to be Gladiators with Aubrey and Summer
Before I left for winter break I spent the last weekend before finals in Rome with my 4 girlfriends: Summer, Erika, Megan, and Aubrey, as one last adventure together. Everyone but Erika and I headed home after finals so we decided one last trip together was a must. We left early Friday morning and spent 2 days exploring Rome together.



Throwing a penny in the Trevi fountain 

When we got there on Friday we went to the Coliseum. Rick Steve’s guided us through the city with his nifty handy travel book. We saw roman ruins, wandered and enjoyed the day taking videos and pretending we were gladiators. Later we went to the Trevi fountain where we wished with pennies. The Trevi fountain was one of my favorite spots and I felt like I was in the Lizzie McGuire movie, it was pretty great. After we went to the Spanish Steps and climbed to the top, where we then spent 20 minutes watching masses of birds swarm in the distance creating shapes. Most of the Christmas lights were lit throughout the city and we walked around and enjoyed the Christmas atmosphere. That night we went back to our hostel and watched When in Rome, a Mary-Kate and Ashley movie and snuggled together.


On Saturday we spent our day in Vatican City. We saw the Sistine Chapel and read about each painting in our Rick Steve’s book while we marveled at the ceiling. We also saw St. Peter’s Basilica, which has to be the biggest church I have ever seen in my life. It was incredible and my favorite part was seeing Michelangelo’s Pieta. It is my favorite piece of art in all of Italy.


We headed back to Florence that evening with rice cakes and chocolate for dinner on the train. It was a quick trip but one of my favorites of the semester. Saying goodbye to the girls was extremely hard and I change imagine this past semester without them. They mean the world to me and adjusting to life in Florence without them will be very challenging. Rome was wonderful and I’m glad I have one final goodbye with my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment