Wednesday, March 28, 2012

OPA!



The crew! Andy, John, Connor, Shaun, and Erika
Sunshine, donkeys, cruising, tanning, sleeping, relaxing, reading, cooking, and stargazing are all but a few words to describe my spring break in Santorini, Greece. I have been dreaming of going to Greece since the 8th grade when I saw the movie “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” and Lena rode a donkey up the Greece cliff. I have been looking forward to this trip for years and Santorini exceeded my expecations beyond anything I could imagine. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my entire life and is really just a slice of paradise. I spent the week with 5 other friends in the most gorgeous villa with a terrace overlooking the entire caldera.
Sunsets from our Terrace
We arrived on Friday to the warm Santorini breeze and a beautiful sunset to welcome us. The island is still in the off season as it is not very warm yet so it was deserted. Shops and restaurants were closed and greek people were just starting to repaint their homes in preparation for summer. The lack of crowds played in our favor and it felt like the entire island was our own. We made French toast our first morning, which for someone who has been eating an Italian breakfast of espresso and toast, it was a big deal. We spent the first few days relaxing, just laying on the sunbeds of our terrace reading and relaxing and soaking up the fact that there was nothing we had to do. No museums we needed to see or sites we had to make it to. 
ATV cruisin' with Erika
This has been my first trip where no agenda was necessary, I could just relax and be at peace. A vacation from studying abroad…pathetic I know. But so incredibly wonderful and beautiful. We rented ATVS and cruised around the island, going to the beaches and different towns. The houses were all white and churches topped with blue domes. The Greek people were so friendly and sweet, probably the nicest people I have met in Europe. Each night we made dinner, college student style most of the time with grilled cheese and tomato soup. Being able to cook was so much fun since I haven’t been able to use a kitchen for 7 months. My favorite day was when we took a hike on this trail along the cliffs to Oia to watch the sunset. Along the way we passed several donkeys and walked along a view that never felt real.


Campfire on the beach!
One day we rented a car and drove to the red beach, a little secluded beach that was tucked away around a cliff. We packed the car with snacks and blankets and spent the day on the beach and at night had a bonfire and stargazed. Returning to the car was a bit difficult because none of us had thought to bring a flash light. Luckly we had a someone’s ipad to guide us up and over the mountain safely to the car.
Donkey riding with Erika
Another day was spent on a boat ride to the volcano. We hiked the volcano and then swam in the hot springs nearby. They were more like warm springs covered in mud, but it was fun none the less. 
After the boat ride we took donkeys up the hill, proving to be my favorite part of the entire trip. Erika and I shared a donkey and screamed the whole way up almost falling off 10 times. Each night we watched the sunset and one night we slept outside under the stars. The weather was gorgeous and just warm enough for shorts and a tshirt. I loved everything about santorini and the Greek people. Greece has now entered my top 3 favorite countries and I never wanted to leave.

I’m back in Florence now with about 3 weeks to go! I can’t believe it’s almost over and I will be home so soon. The mixed feelings are beginning to set in and the fact that my time abroad is slowly becoming a reality. I can’t wait to be home with my family and my puppy and to then go up to Spokane and see my friends, but I also cant imagine leaving my pensione and the beautiful city of Florence, the place I have called home for what will be 8 months. The next few weeks are filled with all the last minute necessities from climbing the dome to seeing Pisa to eating as much pizza as I can. Two trips left, one to visit my cousins in Jesi and one to Croatia for Easter weekend! I’m just trying to soak it all in and enjoy the last bits I have. La dolce vita! 

2 comments:

  1. Thats awesome! Sounds like a lot of fun.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read and loved every one of your blogs, but this one might be my favorite. I am so jealous of your amazing Greece experience but so happy you had a great time. I miss you so much and can't wait until I actually see you again. xoxo

    ReplyDelete